How many calories in a glass of white wine? A glass of white wine can be relaxing and refreshing. Those who want to have a lighter taste should go for white wine instead of red wine. In drinking white wine, you can also get a wide range of health benefits. But since it is still an alcoholic beverage, you need to be mindful of your intake. Wines have alcoholic content and calories – around 120 calories per glass of white wine 5 fl oz standard serving. To get the optimal benefits of drinking wine, you need to drink it in moderation.
How Many Calories in a Glass of White Wine
When it comes to calories, it varies depending on the serving size.
For a glass of white wine with a 100 ml serving size, you can consume 82 calories. If it’s a much bigger glass with a 175 ml serving size, the calorie content is 141. For a 250 ml glass, it gives you 202 calories.
The whole bottle of white wine can give you 615 calories. With the calorie content in drinking white wine, you need to be careful with your intake.
White Wine Glasses
The calorie content that you consume really depends on the serving size. As such, it helps that you know about the different kinds of wine glasses.
For white wine, there different sizes depending on your preference. For a bigger glass, there is the Chardonnay.
If you want to go for a smaller serving size, you can choose to have the Port glass, Standard Sweet and the Sherry.
There are also the Madeira and Sauternes glasses that are used for dessert wine.
Types of White Wine
There are varieties when it comes to white grapes that are used. Depending on your taste, you can choose among the different kinds of white wine. The taste of the white wine you want to purchase will depend on the specific kind of grape used in its production.
Here are some of the different varieties of white wines available:
- Riesling: This white wine is the best choice if you are in search for a white wine that will go perfectly well with dry dishes. For instance, if you want to eat chicken or fish dishes, Riesling can give you just the right amount of smokiness. Riesling is grown mostly in Germany. This wine has a much lighter taste compared to Chardonnay.
- Gewurztraminer: Known to be one of the best wines from Germany and New York, this wine is perfect for sipping. Are you looking for a white wine that you can pair with Asian dishes and even grilled sausages? What is nice with this wine is that it has a fruity aroma and flavor.
- Pinot Grizo: Grown widely in Alto Adige and Venezia, Italy, this gives you a crisp and relatively dry taste that perfectly suits just about any dish. It is considered to be one of the most versatile white wines that you can find on the market. It goes perfectly well with Thai and Chinese cuisine.
- Moscato: This wine is a standalone beverage that you can enjoy even without any food. Moscato grows in Italy and in Austria. This white wine gives you a fruity flavor with a musky aroma.
- Semillon: If you’re in search for a white wine that goes well with fish, Semillon is one of the best wines to have. It’s a good pair if you are eating pasta, salad, clams and mussels.
- Chardonnay: This wine is a perfect choice if you’re having chicken and fish dishes. It’s very versatile and grows in different countries like the United States, France, Italy, Australia, Chile and Argentina.
Health Benefits of White Wine
White wine is not just a beverage as it also gives you different health benefits. White wine has antioxidants which can be really useful in getting rid of harmful toxins in the body.
Various studies conducted show that white wine is rich in antioxidants as they protect your cells.
In drinking white wine, you can prevent or reduce your risk of acquiring certain diseases. With this wine containing antioxidants, you can avoid having breast cancer and lung diseases. In a study that was conducted at the University of Buffalo, consuming wine can actually improve your lung health. That is why when your drink white wine you can lessen your risk of having lung cancer or other lung-related illnesses.
To reduce hangovers, you can actually drink white wine. Compared to other alcoholic beverages, white wine contains lower congeners. When you drink wine, you can actually avoid hangovers and avoid having to experience nausea and headache.
Red Wine Versus White Wine: Which One is Better?
White wine contains fluoride, potassium and phosphorous as well as its antioxidants. Although white wine also gives you health benefits, there is no doubt that red wine is still the better choice.
Red wine has a lot of health benefits that white wine does not give you.
In the end, it will still depend on your preference. There are some who really prefer the taste of white wine. In terms of the health benefits that you can get, red wine is the better option.
Wines are definitely healthy and can be relaxing. You can drink them regularly to calm your mind and to pair with any dish. But since they also contain alcohol and calories, you should be careful when it comes to serving size.
Excessive drinking is also not a good thing especially since there are health risks involved when you take in too much alcohol.
Before you buy any product, make sure that you take the time to read the complete information regarding the product label and monitor the number of wine glasses that you are drinking per week or in a day.