How many calories in a bottle of red wine? Red wine will always be a favorite beverage by everyone. Even if you’re just finding a way to relax or if you are attending an event, there are different kinds of wine that are served and one of the most popular will always be the red wine. Over the years, it has been said that red wine is a very healthy drink considering that there have been numerous studies conducted highlighting the health benefits of drinking red wine. But you should also be careful since it is still an alcoholic beverage and it contains calories – about 640 in a standard bottle.
How Many Calories in a Bottle of Red Wine
When it comes to counting calories, it differs depending on the alcohol content. If you’re drinking 100 ml of red wine, you can expect about 85 calories.
For a 250ml glass, you can expect about 202 calories. One bottle of red wine gives you 640 calories.
That is why it is important that before you buy any red wine, you look at the product label. It’s important that you know the alcohol percentage so you know how strong that alcoholic beverage is and the calorie content. There is actually a wide variety of red wines to choose from.
Depending on the kind of meal and your personal preferences, here are the different kinds of red wine:
- Syrah: The best wine to pair with meat dishes, Syrah gives you a rich flavor and a nice aroma. Syrah is grown in France, Australia and in California. This is the perfect wine choice if you are eating a steak or a stew.
- Merlot: For a softer flavor and an easy-to-drink wine, you should go for Merlot. This is a very versatile wine as it can be paired with any kinds of food. If you are introducing wine for first time drinkers, Merlot is the best choice. Merlot is grown in Romania and Italy.
- Cabernet Saugvignon: There are wines that are simply perfect for red meat and that wine is Cabernet Saugvignon. It gives you a full and strong taste that complements meat dishes. The ingredients used in creating Merlot are grown in Chile, California and Australia.
- Malbec: Another red wine to pair with meat dishes is Malbec. This is perfect for Indian and Mexican dishes. Malbec is grown in Argentina and in other countries like Chile and Australia.
- Pinot Noir: This is considered to be one of the noblest wines as it’s difficult to grow. Pinot Noir is excellent to pair with chicken, salmon and Japanese dishes. It’s grown in New Zealand, Austria and Oregon.
- Zinfadel: Considered to be the most versatile, it’s perfect for any dish. Whether you’re eating pizza or a grilled meat dish, Zinfadel is the one to have. It’s grown in California. What people like about Zinfadel is that it gives you an extra rich flavor.
- Sangiovese: For a berry and plum flavor, Sangiovese is the wine to have. It is excellent to pair with Mediterranean or Italian dishes.
Health Benefits of Red Wine
Red wine can give you different health benefits. That is why many would unwind with a glass of wine.
Although it is an alcoholic average, it can still be beneficial since it contains antioxidants and other nutrients that you body needs.
So, what are the different benefits that you can get in drinking red wine?
When you drink red wine, it contains polyphenols that protect cells and tissues from any damage. This in turn can reduce your risk of developing certain diseases like heart disease and cancer.
In a study that was conducted by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, researchers found out that with the high concentration of polyphenols that can protect the different systems in your body.
By drinking red wine, you can protect yourself against specific kinds of cancer. Red wine contains resveratrol. This compound is effective in preventing neck and head cancer. What it does is kill the cells that are damaged, which in turn can result in cancer.
There are also other studies that show the effectiveness of red wine to combat colon cancer. Another proven benefit of drinking wine is that it slows down the aging process.
In fact, it can even slow down memory loss. Resveratrol can prevent age-related illnesses. In a study conducted by the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, they found out that red wine can reduce your risk of having brain-related diseases.
You can also lose weight when you drink wine. Red wine contains piceatannolas and can be used to fight weight gain.
By drinking red wine with a combination of a good physical exercise and diet,you can definitely maintain your weight with ease. Red wine can also reduce your risk of having dental diseases.
There is a study that was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers found out that red wine can kill bacteria in your mouth.
This also explains why red wine can also make your teeth healthy.
Drink Red Wine in Moderation
Red wine is a refreshing and soothing beverage that you can drink to unwind with when you attend events and other occasions.
With the benefits that you can get when you drink red wine, it’s strongly recommended that you have red wine from time to time.
But since it also contains alcohol, you need to be careful since overdrinking can also be bad for your health.